It may not be as flashy as the newest smartphone or driverless electric vehicle, but laminate flooring is a true game changer for the flooring industry and for homeowners in Colts Neck, Freehold, Holmdel, and surrounding areas in Monmouth County.
Read on for a quick rundown of how laminate is constructed, where it comes from, and why it might just be the perfect material for the floors in your home. Then get in touch with the pros at Floor Coverings International Monmouth County if you have more questions!
Deconstruction: The Layers of Laminate Flooring
We’ll make this really, really simple: laminate flooring is made up of four layers. From top to bottom they are:
- Wear Layer – This is an invisible protective surface, which is usually made of melamine, aluminum oxide, or some combination of the two. The Abrasion Class (AC), a scale from 1-5, tells you how strong the wear layer is. A rating of AC2 or AC3 should be fine for residential spaces, and you should keep in mind that the price goes up along with the rating.
- Image Design Layer – Also called the “Décor Layer,” this is an extremely accurate image of wood, stone, tile, or some other natural material, which is printed on paper. This is the layer you’ll see. Even experts have difficulty telling the highest resolution images apart from the real thing!
- Inner Core – Composed of high-density fiberboard and resins that provide moisture resistance and strength, this is truly the foundation of laminate flooring. You won’t see this layer—but it is there!—giving each plank its stability and structure. The core is also the thickest layer.
- Backing – Adding increased stability, this resin-saturated paper layer does double-duty as a foundation and as a barrier against moisture.
Benefits for Monmouth Homeowners
Most major technological innovations come with a hefty price tag, but the great thing about laminate is that the simple materials and ease of installation can make it more affordable than many other flooring options. Of course, every project is different, so we always recommend getting a free quote from our team if you’re curious. Contact us today!
Another major benefit is that laminate is extremely durable. The wear-surface is scratch and moisture resistant, and the high-density fiberboard core is just as strong as solid hardwood flooring. Laminate flooring is also less finicky than hardwood when it comes to cleaning and mopping.
Find the Perfect Flooring for Your Home
The Floor Coverings International Monmouth County team proudly serves Colts Neck, Freehold, Holmdel, and surrounding areas in Monmouth County, and we would love to help you find floors that look great and function perfectly in your home. Schedule a free, in-home consultation with our convenient mobile showroom!
You might also like:
- Goodbye, Sniffles: Allergy-Friendly Flooring Options
- 3 Hardwood Alternatives for Bathrooms
- Flooring Options for Pet Owners